I feel like the little Aveo is taking its toll on me. I woke up this morning with the muscles in my back cramping up on me on my first yawn of the day. I need Dr. Paul!! (my chiropractor). Alison and I have promised ourselves massages at the end of this trip.
This is a view of one of the many rooms filled with JUNK - Windom would be in seventh heaven. There are thousands and thousands of rocks, bottles, tools, arrowheads, animal skins, carcasses , you name it, its in here at the amazing Wonder Tower. From the top one can see 6 unnamed states, apparantly you get to figure that one out on your own.
Here i have tried to capture how very steep these steps are. The layers of paint from 1930 have only added to the incline. We got next to the last "floor" and poked our heads up to see out of the top. There was no way we were going out on that last landing - it was only surrounded by chicken wire!
Beware when an old man in an old house full of old stuff says "It's around back and it's a little old fashioned.."So after surviving the tower of power we made it across state without too much happening. Then we found this fabulous Carousel in the town of Burlington. During the war the structure enclosing the carousel was used as grain storage, grain was dumped down over all the carousel animals and all the fabulous horses, giraffes, lions, camels and doggies were left to rot or be eaten by mice. Thankfully the town needed a Centenial project and decided to restore the carousel. I hope these pictures do it justice. By the way it is one of the fastest carousel ever at top speed of 10 miles an hour!! It also has a working Wurlitzer military organ . Hope the video plays here.


Kansas is hurting for natural attractions so they had to make their own...

We wanted to see the oddities but didnt want to pay 7.00 each

So after talking to the nice man at the Missouri Visitors Center we decided to change our route and avoid St. Louis. We went further north and plowed our way all the way to Springfield, IL but not before stopping in Marciliene (sp?) where you know who grew up and the streets of his hometown inspired Main Street Disneyland.

Look closely and you can see the mouse ears
OK it is bedtime in Springfield - 2 hours ahead of you all. Tomorrow we visit with Alison's undergrad buddies from Bradley U. in Peoria. Her friend Sara has generously offered to make us breakfast. Do you know how good a home cooked meal sounds after so many restaurants on the road?
3 comments:
Hi, This is so fun, I feel like I am on the trip with you. (except for the long tedious miles of driving and the use of the rustic outhouse, and of course the diner fried foods and the dingy hotel rooms. Other than that I wish I were really there with you. Cant' wait to see what tomorrow brings.
Terri
PS Don't pull any Thelma and Louise side trips, okay?
What a great merry-go-round. Thanks for the fun video! Speaking of oddities: if you get a chance, be sure to say hello to the bear at Jumer's! Have fun in Peoria.
Alison, You got some mail today from Barack Obama. Does he know you're in Illinois? :)
Post a Comment