The alarm went off at 5:45 this morning, and I pulled my shoes on in the dark, cursing the hour I lost crossing into a new time zone. Out the door, past the pool and the vaguely Native American murals on our motel's walls, onto the sidewalk along US 160. There was no one on the streets, but the neon signs on Main Street were buzzing. It took awhile to get into an even stride - the air is a little thinner up here at 6,100 feet.
Main Street is welcoming and unpretentious, kind of like downtown Fullerton was 15 years ago. There are motels, banks, gas stations, antique stores, a park, the Silver Bullet Cafe (an old Airstream that looks like, um, a silver bullet), a natural foods store, and the obligatory sex shop.
On the first half of the run, the mountains were to my right, but when I turned back, there was another range right in front of me. The mountains were glowing red in the sunrise. Here's a picture from about an hour later (outside our motel):
I didn't get as far as I had planned. I only made it 3 miles (my traning plan called for 6). But I was out there, moving, breathing (wheezing?), trekking along. I'm ok with taking it easy the next week. I'll pick up the long runs somewhere along the line.
Next stop on the Aveo Express (this is train country, people!): Pueblo, CO.
2 comments:
That high altitude training is good for you - just like the elite Kenyan marathoners. I'm enjoying the photos and yes, I'm mysteriously drawn to the petrified forest, even from long distance. Be sure to say hello to Dorothy and Toto as you sail across Kansas!
Hey wait for me... I wanted to run with you before dawn, especially 6 miles, i have been training for years , tee hee.. love and kisses and stay safe. Penny C
p.s. When do you get to the luxury hotel with the spa and cute pool boys that deliver those drinks while you relax?
Pnny
Post a Comment