Tuesday, August 19, 2008


Today I finally ventured out in the heat but only with the promise of a private tour of the capitol. We met up with Alison's workmates who are all very friendly and 2 of her bosses took it upon themselves to conduct the tour themselves. These fellows were as nice as nice can be. I felt so special being able to go down corridors and up staircases that were closed off to others. We got to ride the Disney -style tram car underground that transports the likes of Dick Cheney from one side of the building to the other. We stood in the rotunda where bodies lie in state, espied the old chambers for the Supreme Court, ogled statuary and visited the floor of the house of representatives where the state of the union is declared. Members of Congress were protesting Speaker Nancy Pelosi's decision to adjourn and not vote on energy legislation. The fellows took us out to lunch-I told you they were nice! Alison is fortunate to be working with the people I met today. Her walk to the office from the metro is practically across the street and the metro ride itself is a piece of cake - of course we werent riding it during rush hour.
I will be able to leave tomorrow with no reservations re: apt., job, future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yay! alison loves america!! =) i'm so proud of you sister!

Unknown said...

I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF THE APARTMENT!! and the table that alison strained to put together =) i make odie do all the putting together of the ikea furniture. too stressful. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I like your name on the office door...looks kind of 'corporate'...